Frequently Asked Questions
What you need to know about staying at Ronald McDonald House of Southern West Virginia
Who can stay at the Ronald McDonald House?
Families must have a patient 21-years-old or younger admitted at CAMC Women and Children’s Hospital and live at least 25 miles from Charleston, WV.
How do I request a room?
- Family members must obtain a referral from a social worker at CAMC Women and Children’s Hospital. Only parents/guardians/family members with visitation privileges at the hospital are permitted to stay at this time.
- Anyone 18-years-old or older must have a valid state or federal photo ID and complete a background check upon check-in. Forms may be requested from your social worker or completed online.
Are there COVID-19 guidelines in place?
Yes, once approved to stay, families will be contacted by an RMHC staff member to conduct a COVID-19 pre-screen for all adults requesting to stay.
Once a family is checked into the House, guests must follow the following COVID-19 House Procedures:
- Masks are to be worn at all times except while in a guest room or while eating in the kitchen.
- Staff will conduct temperature checks upon each arrival to the House.
- If you do not feel well, have a fever, cough, or sore throat, you will be required to leave and return home. You will need to provide RMHC staff with medical clearance from a Doctor to return to the House. Please understand that we are trying our best to keep everyone safe.
- Families staying at the House may return home once a week and must return by 9 p.m. the same day. Overnight stays at home are discouraged and should be limited. Please speak with a staff member if you need to return home at any time during your stay.
Can I have visitors during my stay?
Visitors are permitted daily from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Children under 18 with no relation to the patient will not be permitted to visit within the facility.
- Visitors must be accompanied by the Guest(s) at all times within the facility.
- Visitors may not visit if they have been diagnosed or had close contact with a person who has been diagnosed or exposed to COVID-19 in the past 14 days, regardless of vaccination status.
Visitors may not visit if they have a fever over 99.5 degrees or any Covid-19 related symptoms.
- All families and visitors must wear a facial mask in the common spaces within the House, and ensure handwashing, sanitizing, and/or wearing of gloves before utilizing the main kitchen and laundry facilities.
Is there transportation to the hospital?
CAMC Women and Children’s Hospital provides a courtesy shuttle that can transport families to and from the hospital.
How must does it cost to stay?
What services are provided?
Families have access to the following during their stay:
- Fully-stocked communal kitchen with personal locker/food storage area
- Laundry room with laundry supplies
- Communal living room
- Toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc.)
- Adult, children’s and baby clothing
- Baby necessities (diapers, wipes, books, toys, etc.)