Eligibility and Admission Process
Requirements to Stay
- The patient must be 21 years of age or younger.
- The child must be an active patient receiving medical treatment.
- Families must live 50 miles or more from Ronald McDonald House Charities of Southern WV.
- Each guest age 18 or older who plans to stay at the House must individually complete a background check authorization. If you have submitted one before there is no need to complete one again unless there has been a change in your circumstances
- Anyone over the age of 18 must have a valid state or federal photo ID upon check-in.
Who May Stay
- Any family member or guardian who provides care and support for the child. One room per family – maximum of 4 persons per room.
Fees for Stay
- Guests are asked to make a $20 contribution per night but no family is turned away regardless of their ability to pay.
- Financial aid is reviewed by management on an individual basis.
Requesting a Room
- A social worker or doctor’s office will submit a referral form and completed background authorization form(s) to the House. Once all of the required documentation is received, a staff member will conduct a background check on all guests age 18 and over requesting temporary residence. Once the social worker has obtained all of the information, we are contacted to see if a room is available. A family can make advance reservations through a doctor’s office, but reservations should be confirmed prior to arrival.
- Unfortunately, due to the nature of the care of the patient, rooms cannot be guaranteed in advance. A family’s length of stay is often uncertain; instead, a family’s name is placed on a wait list for their day of arrival. Rooms are assigned daily as they become available.
- Ronald McDonald House Charities opens its doors to up to 14 families each day, which requires a tremendous effort from our staff, volunteers, other families, and very generous community donors. To provide for the health and safety of everyone involved, we ask all families to observe the House Rules and Infectious Disease Policy. Ronald McDonald House Charities reserves the right to ask any family to check out at any time should it be considered necessary to preserve the well-being or health and safety of the other families in the House.